Did you know? Only about 63% of elementary school teachers believe that communicating academic progress with parents is a part of their job (source). These numbers aren’t the best, and that shouldn’t be the reality!
Why? Well, researchers (source) have found that optimal communication between parents and teachers can have a significant impact on the child’s emotional, intellectual, and physical needs. When a child’s development comes at stake, the importance of parent-teacher communication becomes altogether more important.
What can you do as a teacher to improve communication from your end? You can use a variety of methods like parent-teacher conferences, phone calls, social media, etc. but that can be a bit cumbersome for you. The one-stop solution then becomes… CLASSROOM NEWSLETTERS!
Without any further ado, let’s dive into the A-Z Guide on Classroom Newsletters!
What are Classroom Newsletters?
First up, a classroom newsletter is an organized way to inform all parents and students of a particular classroom about the events, news, discussions, etc. It is one of the most efficient ways of connecting with the parents of your students and keeping them informed about the day-to-day classroom activities.
There are no set guidelines for what should be included in a classroom newsletter, but here are some fair ideas that you can include in yours, depending on the kind of information that you want to give out to the parents –
- Announcement of forthcoming events
- Invitations to class events or open-house meetings
- Lists of things that parents should collect or save for class projects
- Thank you notes for the families who are helping out
- Descriptions of study units and suggestions for ways to complement units at home
- Library Schedule
- Reprints of papers that you think are interesting and should be read
- Explanations of rating policies, standardized assessments, and other ways of measuring and reviewing student performance
- Explanations of expectations of conduct and effects of misbehavior
- Highlights of community resources such as museum displays, plays, concerts, or television shows
- Children’s writing and works of art
- News about classroom pets, outings, celebrations
Although, we’ve already talked about how important it is for you to communicate with parents to ensure the well-being of your students, let’s still take a look at all the reasons why you should invest your time into making classroom newsletters…
Why are Classroom Newsletters Important?
1. Home to School Connection
One of the most primary reasons why you should make classroom newsletters is to develop a connection between home and school. There needs to be a consistency in values being taught at school, and the values being enforced at home for a positive change to come about in students.
Parents don’t need to be in the classroom to support their kids, but they need to understand what you anticipate from their children. Connecting with them through positive interaction allows them to reinforce the correct learning behaviors and actions of the classroom that will help students excel.
Read more: 15 Best Podcasts for Kids in 2021!
2. Parent Involvement
Classroom newsletters are also an important way of ensuring parent involvement in their children’s education. Let’s take a look at all the reasons why parent involvement is beneficial for both parents and students…
Benefits to Students
- Higher grades and test results, placement in advanced programs.
- Class promotions, you earn more credits
- Better attendance at school and completion rates for homework
- Improved social skills and behavior help students to properly acclimate to school environments.
- Increased self-esteem
Benefits to Parents
- Interact more with their children, making them more receptive to their emotional and intellectual needs.
- Have more faith in their parenting skills
- Have a clearer understanding of the role of the teacher and the curriculum
- Are more likely to respond to requests for support from teachers at home as they hear what their children are learning.
- Have higher opinions and feel more dedicated to their children’s schools
- Become more interested in decision making at school and in the neighborhood.
…and much more!
By now you must be thinking about the various ways in which you can probably make the most out of the idea of classroom letters! With that, we’re hoping that we have you on board with the idea of making classroom newsletters! With so many benefits, it would be foolish to not invest one’s time in creating a visually-stunning newsletter!
Examples & Free-to-Use Classroom Newsletter Templates
We know that being a teacher isn’t an easy job. With so many tasks to handle, from managing student progress to making and checking classroom assignments, it isn’t a cakewalk.
When you already have so much on your plate, creating newsletters from scratch seems like a laborious task, but don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with some fun and interesting examples and free-to-use templates that are just some simple edits away from being sent out!
Let’s take a look at some of these examples…
Are you excited to use some of these stunning templates? Give yourself a big start by creating your very own elink account. Just follow these simples steps…
How to Create Classroom Newsletters using elink? (Steps)
1. Login & choose a Classroom Newsletter template
At elink, we believe that you don’t have to be a designer to create something beautiful and breath-taking. We have already done the heavy work for you by creating several templates for you to choose from. Simply log in to your elink account, click on ‘Create New Post’ and select ‘Choose a Template’.
2. Add links to the newsletter
Elink makes it easy to design the ideal newsletter with our user-friendly, customizable newsletter builder. Add links to the articles and elink will automatically generate an image, a title, and a short descriptive text for each link that you can modify later.
3. Add a Header
Give your classroom newsletter a personal touch by adding a personalized header image! Add a header image, a catchy title, and a short description!
4. Choose over 30+ layouts
Choose your favorite among our 30+ layouts (1 column, 2 columns, or multi-columns) and personalize the look and feel of your content!
5. Design and customize
Update the text, change colors to match your style or your content, add design elements, use visuals that fit your theme. You can change the colors, font style, font size- all in just a few clicks!
Voila! Now that you’ve created a stunning classroom newsletter, it’s time for the final step!
6. Share your Newsletter anywhere!
Once you have finished your newsletter, it’s time to send it out to the parents. Our newsletter creator tool makes it easy for you to get the word out. Decide whether you want to generate a shareable link to send online or attach in an email.
After publishing, go to your dashboard and select the newsletter button. From there you can integrate Elink with your Gmail account and shoot over your email newsletter as a draft to your Gmail.
Be sure to not make the newsletter extremely lengthy and send it at a regular frequency so that the parents start expecting the newsletter at a particular time! If you take your newsletters seriously, the parents are bound to do so too!
There you have it! The complete guide to creating a beautiful classroom newsletter that is sure to get the parents involved in your classroom affairs!
Did we miss out on something in our A-Z Guide on Classroom Newsletters? Let us know by tweeting to us @elink_io! We’d be happy to hear from you! 😃