Product videos can have a profound impact on your conversions and sales. Did you know that over 73% of viewers who watch product videos end up making a purchase? A surprising 71% of audiences feel that videos explain products better than any other type of content.
You may be thinking that recording and editing video footage can be a daunting task. But you don’t need to actually record video footage to create a worthy product video. Instead, one popular way of creating awesome videos is by using product photos to produce a slideshow video.
Here are a few key tips that can help you create an effective slideshow product video in no time!
Tip 1. Keep it Short
None of your potential customers are going to sit through a long, drawn-out product video – no matter how impressive it looks. That is why it is crucial that you keep the duration of the slideshow short.
If possible try to keep video to 60 seconds long – or 2 minutes at most. That will translate to about 12 photos, if each one appears for 5 seconds, or 15 if each one is shown for 4 seconds.
It helps to plan out your slideshow and write a script so that you have a rough estimate of how long it will be.
Tip 2. Use the Right Types of Photos
At the end of the day your slideshow product video will sink or swim based on the photos that you choose to use in it – which is why you need to get them right.
Some of the common types of photos that you will want to incorporate into your slideshow include:
- Full product photos that give customers a view of the product from different angles.
- Close-up shots that zoom-in to specific areas to showcase its features and details.
- Lifestyle photos of the product in use to illustrate what it can do and how it works.
It is best to consider the types of photos that you want to include when you’re planning your slideshow – and structure the order that you want them to appear in as well.
A typical approach is to start with a full product photo to let customers see the product as a whole, then move into close-up shots and shots that show the product being used to discuss its features and unique selling points, before ending with a full product photo for the call to action.
Make Sure the Photo Quality is Excellent
As a rule of thumb, you should only use the best quality photos in your product slideshow video. That means taking impressive product photos in the first place.
While it would be best to have your products professionally photographed, there are a few ways that you can snap good product photos of your own:
If you have a physical product:
- Use a tripod stand to keep your camera fixed while you make adjustments to the composition, lighting, and other areas.
- Make sure the lighting is good and ideally find soft and diffused lighting that is even so there are no dark shadowy areas.
- Use a sweep or portrait mode to focus on the product depending on the style of photos that you want.
It may help to use three-point lighting or a lightbox to make sure your product photos look excellent.
If you have an online product:
- Create screenshots to produce great images. Pay attention to what you’re showcasing and make sure that you’re only taking a screenshot of the product and avoid other things on your computer screen.
Use Captions to Provide Context
Overall you should try to put across the information about your product as visually as possible – but sometimes some additional context is required. That can be accomplished by adding captions to specific slides.
If you do add captions, you should make sure it can be read easily. The text that you use must contrast against the part of the photo that you place it on.
In some photos that may not be easy. Adding a box to the photo (possibly one that is slightly opaque) and then placing the text inside it can often provide a good fix.
Try to ensure that your captions are short, succinct, and direct. Ideally each should be a few words at most that are designed to give viewers context about what they’re looking at and why it is important.
Select a Good Background Music Track
Most slideshow product videos don’t need a voiceover, and you can use background music to set the pace, mood and excitement level.
It is important that you carefully choose a music track that fits your video and compliments the product and brand as well.
Some of the things that you should keep in mind when choosing the background music that you want to use is that:
- Upbeat music will generally put out a happy vibe that will make potential customers more likely to make a purchase.
- Lyrics cannot be used in videos with a voiceover or it will clash with them and confuse viewers.
- Any lyrics must relate to the product in some way, otherwise it will seem irrelevant to the video.
- The music track can be edited to make it fit the video better by trimming, looping, or even merging it with other tracks.
It should be noted that since you’re going to be using the music in a video that is for commercial purposes – you need to be aware of copyrighted content. That is why browsing royalty-free music platforms to find tracks is a good idea.
Knowing the best tips to create a slideshow product video should be all that it takes for you to start to plan and create one of your very own.
The only other ingredient that you need is some type of slideshow software that you can use to compile your photos into a slideshow and output it in a video format.
Make no mistake a product slideshow video can be every bit as effective as a conventional video at increasing conversions and sales. And as you can see it is relatively easy to create as long as you take steps to follow the tips as closely as possible.